Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Who are we racing against?

Over the last few weeks the Race to the Top Grant program has repeatedly caught my attention. On the surface I don't like this program. This program is designed to pit states against one another for federal funds. The fact sheet on the program released by the White House emphasizes five areas to focus educational reform.

First on their list is for states to design and implement rigorous standards and high quality assessments. The government proposes states work together to meet this goal. Why would states work together if they are competing for the money? The criteria calls for attracting and keeping great teachers in American classrooms. Snuggled in between improving teacher preparation and retaining great teachers is a phrase connecting teachers salaries to student achievement. In fact if a state does not allow for teacher compensation to be linked to student achievement, the state will not be eligible to compete. Where are the parent's in this formula? Will the government withhold benefits to parents who don't contribute to a student's success?

Supporting data systems to improve instruction falls next on the government's list of priorities. I don't know what you're states are doing, but Maine is already using data for longitudinal review of test results. The next point is possibly my favorite; "Using innovative and effective approaches to turn around struggling schools." It goes on to explain how states need to put low performing schools top of the list for aid. Am I naive, do any states just forsake low performing schools? While I'm on the topic, could the government suggest some innovative approaches? Frankly, we teachers are running out of ideas. Finally to make the top 20- only 20 states will actually receive money; a state must demonstrate and sustain school reform. Evident in this passage is the promotion of charter schools.

I just can't see how turning education reform into a competition for money is the right thing to do. What will be next, administrators playing capture the flag?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Allyson,

    My blog this week touches on this topic a bit and I the point I was tackling was how Bill Gates is involing his money to help restructure the public school system. I am not against him trying to help but is it right that he is influencing the stimulas dollars given to states? Now that I have read your blog I am wondering why parents are not involved in this more.
    I don't think competition is bad as long as the results are shared after the event. If one school has a great concept then the others should now about it. I don't what the answer is when it comes to school reform but I do think teachers are getting burnt out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson,

    I have done a little bit of research on this grant at the request of OPI and I have much of the same impressions that you do. Looking at Montana's achievement data over the past ten years and comparing it to the surrounding states it is clear that we are lagging behind and have no chance to receive Race to the Top money. It is good to see that the government is trying to provide major incentives for states to improve their overall education systems without calling for major reform. I do think that this incentive/grant is a little too inclusive because it is just rewarding those states who are doing well already. It just seems to be a perpetuation of NCLB in the form of a grant...

    ct

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of this grant before and was amazed when I read the article. I am interested if this would lead to teachers cheating on the assessments to help their school receive the grant. I also found the idea of compensating teachers for their performance interesting. I think this would also lead to teachers adjusting student's test, especially if their salary depended on it.
    I would like to know how parents are involved as well. You can have students who make huge growths because of support at home and have students who don't have any help and struggle. What will happen with those students and their parents? Will they have to pay the school if they choose to not be active in their child's learning?
    I think this grant is a good idea for states that are already doing well. I don't think they are all of sudden going to have huge academic growth in schools just to get money. Even with an incentive such as money, students are still going to struggle.

    ReplyDelete