Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fewer? School Days

Maine's Legislature is considering reducing the required number of school days to make up for budget shortfalls of $66 million at last check. The Kennebec Journal ran a story last week reporting the legislature's Education Committee estimates the statewide savings would be $7 million per day closed. My first reaction was a sarcastic great- let's just close the schools for 10 days and the budget will be flush. That was my first reaction. I then reflected on Maine's Education Commissioner Susan Gendron's comment of taking a "nickel and dime approach" to saving money. I came up with a few, perhaps controversial suggestions.

  • It seems we could cut back on printing and photocopying. Paper, toner, and ink are all expensive; not to mention repair of overworked photocopiers.
  • I have cleaned out the classrooms left by two different retirees; I have paperclips for life but still have the instinct to hoard. (I've actually returned the paper clips to the supply closet.)
  • Redesign the school's athletic schedule; many states are cutting back on the number of games played and the distance traveled to games. Some schools have initiated a "pay to play" fee. Both of my children participate in activities and I would manage to come up with the money. Athletic booster clubs could offer scholarships to students in financial need.
  • Stop the subsidy of Advanced Placement exams. It appears the exam cost $86; I pay $25 for my children to take these exams. If the college they attend will allow the credits I'll save hundreds of dollars so why don't I have to pay the full price for the test?
  • Reduce busing costs by having 7-12 students who live within 1/2 to 1mile of the school walk.

Presently, as we've heard from a classmate, Georgia is the only state that has used furlough days to reduce costs. North Carolina however held back 10 hours pay to all state employees including teachers. The teachers have to take the time off by December 31st and only on workshop days. Maine's option would avoid controversial furloughs that require dealing with teachers unions and keep professional develop intact. It is frustrating that Maine would even consider a shorter school year an option.

I realize we have all faced hard budget cuts but we must be realistic; if we don't reduce spending someone ( the government) will. I challenge all of you to think of one way you could save $1.00 a day without adversely affecting your teaching.

4 comments:

  1. You make some valid points. I think it is unconscionable that a state would try to balance the budget at the expense of education. We have seen California eliminate thousands of teaching positions to balance the budget. We have seen class sizes increase to save money. I can't believe a legislature would see cutting school days to save money as a good option.

    It is true that we don't see many teachers looking for ways to save money in their classrooms. I think it these economic times that we should all look for ways to save money in the classroom. I know your blog has started me thinking about what I can do to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You blog about cutting back days and I blog about having longer school days.

    I started to think how I would cut back just $1 a day in my classroom. I amazingly am drawing a blank. I know I could raise some money and sell the things my school has provided me that I don't use, such as manipulatives or my tv (it has been replaced with a document camera and a projector). I also think I could give some ideas to my district to cut back on costs. We currently adapted a new reading curriculum and were required to have the practice books that accompany our text. I am not a paper and pencil teacher so my practice books go unused. The same thing has happened the last two years I have taught. I know if they stopped buying the practice books and just allowed the teachers to copy what they needed; it would cut back hugely on costs.
    I think the idea of trying to save money is great, but cutting back school days I don't think is the answer. I have a hard enough time fitting everything in as it is, I couldn't imagine going 10 days less.

    Great topic!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allyson,

    Sounds like the state to work as a teacher in now! Do they get paid the same? I know, they don't. That would be equivalent to $3000-$5000 per teacher here in my district. I hope my school doesn't catch wind of this idea and implement it as well as what they've already done. First of all, cutting teachers. Secondly, they cut classified staff jobs, but not so surprisingly no people. They just changed their titles to claim it comes with more responsibility than before. They also increased our class sizes from 22 students to 35-37 students. It doesn't seem like they'll be looking to do anything to return things back to normal when the "crisis" is over. We've also lost $400 of our classroom budgets to the crisis. At this point, I think I'd vote for a shorter school year so I can go make money doing something else for the days lost.

    I found out in my research last week, that AIM Charter School in Oakland, CA has school for 200 days a year. What are their results? They are ranked number 4 in the state of California in their API scores and will probably continue in their traditional work ethics incorporated.

    Our school has 180 days of school. How many days do you have?

    Randy B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a little more info. Randy B we also have 180 days at this time and of course a lot of the savings is in the form of reduced salaries. Jenna, I could also have a heck of a lawn sale and easily cover $1.00 a day for a year. Randy W. thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete