In 2002, the State of Maine implemented the Maine Learning Technology Initiative (MLTI). In short, the State provides every 7th and 8th grade student and teacher a Mac ibook and fitted every middle school with wireless capabilities. My first impression of the program was that it was a huge expense and workshops for laptop training took up a lot of my time. I have grown to like the fact that the laptops are here. I do ask myself if the time the students are using the laptops is quality teaching time or am I somehow taking the easy road. Researchers at the University of Southern Maine recently published the results of an action research study to help answer this question. the results are published as, Using laptops to facilitate middle school science learning: the results of hard fun.
The central research question, Is the use of student laptops to create animations more effective than having students create traditional paper diagrams and reports in helping students learn the concepts related to Earth's axis angle? (Berry & Wintle, 2009 p. 2) The study was designed using two classes, a control and an experimental class. Pre and post assessments were given as well as a follow up assessment to measure student retention. Each class received the same teacher directed lessons covering how the Earth's axial tilt influences the seasons. The experimental class received additional instruction on how to create animations.
The results of the study were positive. I was not surprised that the students using their laptops scored higher on the post assessment, but they scored significantly higher. Mean scores from the experimental group improved 48.61% while the control group showed a 28.87% increase. (Berry & Wintle, 2009 p. 7) The scores on the retention test were also higher for the experimental group. The study implies increased student engagement lead to better retention, I taught math for two years and retention was always a problem. Students couldn't recall material from one semester to the next so I often delayed curriculum to reteach material.
The study included observations and interviews with both teacher and students. The observers noted the students using laptops were on task 100% of the time! (Berry & Wintle, 2009 p. 7) Rarely have I ever seen 100% of my class on task at the same time. All of the students interviewed enjoyed the hands-on part of the project though the laptop students admitted the animation was more difficult than constructing a paper poster.
This study gives evidence that the use of laptops, and by extension technology, can raise student achievement. I note that the teacher delivered lesson still provided the core content with the technology employed for the independent project. The study does give me ideas about my own use of technology. When technology is used the objectives need to be very well defined. I often have students research online, and will continue to bookmark pages to avoid unnecessary surfing. I have come to the conclusion that technology used for independent practice and enrichment combined with more traditional modes of delivery may result in an overall improvement in student learning.
Berry, A.M., Wintle, S.E. (2009 February). Using laptops to facilitate middle school learning:
the reuslts of hard fun.
Retrieved from University of soiuthern Maine Center for Educational Policy, Applied Research, and Evaluation.
http://www.usm.maine.edu/cepare/pdf/Bristol_Final_Copy_Cover.pdf
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The test scores in your blog really caught my eye. I wouldn't have thought it would have been such a huge gap. You mentioned that you had to be trained on the laptops at your school. Did they also provide lessons or labs to do with the laptops in your area? Do you think by using laptops the student lose some skills that are found in teacher led instruction?
ReplyDeleteIn Georgia, technology is at the forefront of almost every county's programs. In my county, every teacher gets a laptop to use. The students constantly have access to computers or laptops depending on the class. Every school in the county has wireless for everyone to use. People can forget that these are luxuries and institute the technology so heavily in the classroom that they fail to realize the true purpose of the technology.
ReplyDeleteThe only problem I have with what you talk about is going with a Mac. I know that Macs now have the same compatabilities with PCs, but the cost for Macs are still much more than PCs. My county has transitioned from Dell to HP and my laptop is amazing. They have purchased licenses for tons of programs and now have Office Professional 2007 pre-installed, among other options. But it always goes back to what the purchaser prefers.
I am excited to see that they have done a thorough research of this concept in order to establish that students achieve higher scores. I do want to read the research paper on this. It does not surprise me that they performed better. Now the problem is how do we implement control and accountabiliy over the internet. The internet is so dangerous to the minds of our youth. Take youtube for example. One can innocently run accross horible things that can be accessed from the internet. From pornography to the foreign killing of a U.S. citizen, youtube has numerous uncensored images. This poses a huge threat and also makes me wonder if improved scores are worth the risk of introducing students to these harmful temptations that are offered.
ReplyDeleteI do like the improved engagment, but strict limits need to be implimented to censor the sites.